Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The past 2 days

Well, where do I begin. I would like to go back to Monday. Oh bugeezers!

The day begins pretty mild and THEN an influx of late kids and kids without uniforms. There is a student who is notorious for being loud and thinks all of us are her friends and addresses us as "gurl"! I ask her not to come into the office causing her shenanigans. She got upset because I called her on it and walked out. Other kids came in and just enjoy being loud, including our service worker and one of the students who almost got into a fight on Friday. I address them and tell them to lower their voice or be quiet. Well apparently they felt they were being targeted. The "I nearly fight student" made it a point to get upset and start acting out and cursing. In an effort to prevent him from getting into anymore trouble I pull him into my office. I ask him what was his issue and he sits down while using one balled up fist and punching it onto his other hand. I ask him why he was balling up his fist and he just says "Ouuu! I can't wait til my grandma comes up here!" I asked him "what is that supposed to mean?" and he stated to take that comment anyway I wanted. He proceeded to make a comment about me picking on him because of his race and that I was not doing that with any other student. So I closed my door and asked him to tell me exactly what he was trying to tell me. Not to beat around the bush. I told him that if he felt I was racist against him then he is sadly mistaken. I was so mad that I cried of anger! Just thinking about it angers me. I told him that I was rooting for him and to avoid anymore behavior issues I pulled him in. I proceeded to tell him that race has nothing to do with it. He tried to apologize and hug me, but I told him not to touch me and to sit down. He stayed there for 30 mins. In silence.

Today a student who drops off his bike in the Main Office came in at 9 am. I told him before that if he gets to school late he will not be able to keep his bike in the Main Office. It is a privilege not a right. He got mad and began to curse. He walked out and tried to leave campus, but the security guard stopped him. He continues to call me "pendeja" and cursing in English. So I tried to contact mom, sister and finally mom answered. I told her the entire situation. Apparently, her child told her that he begins school at 9am and I told her that is not the case. I also asked her that to come in an observe her child in school. It seems as those my request was equivalent to asking her to jump off a bridge because she said "you want me to miss work?". I was dumbfounded! I remember that my mom also needed to work in order to provide, but when it came to her child she would handle business. My assumption is that her child is not as important. The student knows that mom won't make it to the school and acts out. The previous day he came in and told us that he is going to get himself kicked out and go to the main office. Mom decided to insult me and tell me that as a counselor I should know what I am doing. That when she came in the first time I was nice and so on. I told her I wasn't sure if she understood what I was saying and told her her son has a kind heart and can be nice, but when you push the button for him to get mad he just flips. In order to try and help him we need her support to. I reiterated that it would be great for her to come in, but if that does not fit in her schedule, then as a school we will do our part unfortunately without her support. Ultimately, mom said she would call back and surprise him with a visit. Not sure if that will happen, but I tried.

On top of that, we had to complete certificates for an award ceremony. Then off to meetings that were not pleasant. Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment